Monday, January 11, 2010

Is Anybody Home? -OLP

"We are all motivated by the desire to make ourselves happy. To do so is right. However, we must keep in mind that too much involvement in the superficial aspects of life will not solve our larger problems of discontentment." -His Holiness The Dalai Lama

It's hard to be alone when you're constantly around others. I think that when we own our own house, it'll be a lot easier. 1) I will have a dog and 2) I'll be able to have any kind of locks/keys/alarms I want and can do whatever I want with the house. This will make me feel safer. The other part is that I will, honestly, be more comfortable in my own home. It's difficult to be comfortable in a place you're only renting, I find. I had this conversation with D today when we were talking about cleaning. We both do the bare minimum but if we owned this place, it'd be a lot more crazy cleaning. We're both neat freaks in certain aspects of our lives, and it'll be exciting when we own our own place.

Another thing I'm looking forward to doing is painting my walls. We each get our own room plus a bedroom that we share. We have our own space, but my space needs to be really creative and inspiring because I do a lot of creative things in it. It's my zen-room. Now at the moment it's creative because I have pictures and cork-boards and mementos everywhere. If you've ever seen One Tree Hill, you'll know what I actually want to do once we own a place. Think Peyton's room but more like me (less dark, basically). I want to be able to paint the walls in weird ways, in any colours I want. I want to be able to change everything drastically at a moments notice. I want to explore my creative side and not worry about my landlords yelling at me.

I think that while material goods are only part of being happy (and yes, I could be happy without gadgets, though not books), having my own place would really go a long way to making me feel safe and stable. So this is my main goal for this year... to have a house that I can do anything with (with compromises for D, of course, but he's pretty artsy, too).

I just want to fill my life with positive things. Artsy things. Inspiring things.
I want to live, not just exist. There's a difference. Is anybody home in me? That's what I need to do is bring myself home.

2 comments:

  1. This reminded me so much of my sister. My sister and her husband are the exact same. They've got a rom for their own and they're side by side. My sister's room is crazy artsy with fabric from the ceilings and paintings and color everywhere where as Greg is more of a music person so he's got his guitars hung up along the walls (like me)

    I'm excited for you. I can't wait until you own your own house/place as well. Cause I definitely know how you feel about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, our rooms are side by side. If we're each listening to our own music (or tv and music, etc.) then we close the doors and do our own thing, but the other is always allowed in. My room would be much more artsy if I had my own place. I like it now, though. It's nice to have "my space" and "his space".

    I'm excited too, and thankyou!! <3

    ReplyDelete